Sociology is the study of society and individuals. It is suitable for students who have open, enquiring minds and enjoy debating contemporary issues.
We follow the linear AQA specification (7192) which is examined in three exam papers at the end of the two year course. Students will be required to write both short answer questions as well extended answer questions. Critical and reflective thinking are the key to success in Sociology and students will be encouraged to actively engage with the contemporary world to enable them to develop awareness of social issues and their explanations.
Paper 1: Education with Theory and Methods
Paper 2: Topics in Sociology (Option 1: Families and Households. Option 2: The Media)
Paper 3: Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
What will I learn?
- How do we learn to be “human”?
- How sociologists do sociologists conduct research and develop theories to explain society?
- Who does the education system really benefit?
- Is there are dark side to the family?
- Are certain social groups or genders more likely to commit crime?
- Is the media for the entertainment or brainwashing of the public?
Students can subscribe to Sociology Review journal.
Some useful websites:
There are also a number of enrichment resources on the student shared area. Sociology is everywhere so much of what you see, hear and read in many media products will be sociologically relevant.
Your teacher/s may well have set you some work via SMH, please check this first. If they have not been able to do this please take some time to explore the enrichment links above.